Sunday, June 12, 2011

Great Cabernet for Dinner Tonight

337 - 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon
http://www.337wine.com/Wines/

From: Lodi, California

Ratings:
Wine: 3 - Savor It...
Value: $ - Pinchin' Pennies (~$12)

Where to Buy in Colorado Springs?
http://www.337wine.com/WTB/




Review
Right off the top I get the aroma of dark cherries, as I swirl the wine around in the glass…as soon as I take a sip the flavor of spice hits every taste bud on my tongue, followed by an intense blackberry flavor.  The finish is smooth after the flood of mocha flavor that hits the back of your palate, while the intense spice still sits on your tongue.  A must try at a great value!
Musings - the story behind the selection...
I love sending my husband to shop, not just for food, but for wine as well, his reasoning for picking out the wine is hilarious and whimsical, I love it.  9 times out to 10, he ends up landing some great wines and he did with the 337.  We admittedly ran out of our “2 Buck Chuck” (blush blush) and I went to grab a nice wine to pair with our dinner and I grabbed this one.  When I asked my husband why he picked that particular wine his response was, “I recognized the label, we’ve had it before.”  After a somewhat frank and witty conversation, I had to relent and pretend like I thought we had it before, but I still don’t think we have…

This point leads to my next, which is my amazement at how “programmable” we can really be when it comes to purchasing a bottle of wine.  I see it all the time, a guy all dressed up, hair slicked back, cologne permeating the isles…scanning back and forth down every isle from every region and country, just looking for a bottle of wine that “looks good” and isn’t too cheap, I doubt his dinner date will know the difference anyway…   Labels sell, and I think this one got my husband, because it is a sleek label and man they make the wine sound good on the back!
Now, to give my husband and all the other guys out there a break, I have to admit, I was very driven by the wine labels and the statement that they made, until I started getting more into wine and reading Wine Enthusiast.  After this slight paradigm shift in my thinking, a majority of my purchasing became dictated by the prestigious pallets of the Wine Enthusiast.  I slightly struggle with this and try to venture out because I feel that a lot of those wine ratings are “political,” therefore I try to “follow my…nose?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment