Monday, June 20, 2011

R&R Coffee Cafe

Date Visited: Saturday, June 18th, 2011
Heard About Via:  Twitter

R&R Coffee Cafe
11425 Black Forest Road #6
Colorado Springs, CO 80908
(719) 494-8300
http://www.rnrcoffeecafe.com/

Attire:            Casual
Company:      My Husband

RATING – 4/4 Stars

The Coffee/Baked Goods:      4 Gotta Go!
Service:                                   3.5 Savor It…
Atmosphere:                           4 Gotta Go!
Cost/Value:                             $ - Got a few bucks

Ratings Key

General                                               Cost/Value (based on a party of 2)
1 – No go…                                         $ – Pinchin’ pennies (less than $10)
2 – Try it…                                          $$ – Got a few bucks (less than $20)
3 – Savor it...                                       $$$ – It doesn’t hurt to drop a few (less than $50)
4 – Gotta go!                                        $$$$ – I just got a bonus ($100 +)


Greeted by an old western building, R&R Coffe Café sits right off of Black Forest road in the heart of a large bed of trees.  Upon our arrival, we could hear the conversation and laughter into the parking lot, as one of their dining areas had open walls.  The coffee shop was endearing and charming upon entering, with coffee permeating the air.  We were greeted by a small line of eager customers ready to order their morning coffee and breakfast.  Like any savvy store, tempting baked goods lined the wall in which the line was formed.  Between the cake, scones and blueberry muffins, we decided to sink our teeth into the blueberry muffin.  As I approached the register, I was greeted with a very kind smile and helpful attitude, I could tell that they were all very busy and focused on ensuring the timely delivery of their customer’s meals and coffee drinks.  I ordered 2 cups of coffee with a blueberry muffin.  The cashier directed me to the coffee dispensers that stood behind me and handed me a bag and a sheet of plastic to grab my blueberry muffin from beneath the glass display dish.  While all of this was going on, I started to hear bluegrass in the background, I thought they must have turned on the radio, nope, I turned around to find a group of young teenage boys playing instruments and singing in the corner of the dining room.  They sounded amazing and it tied the whole wonderful experience together!

The Coffee/Muffin
The coffee was excellent, I had to sample all of the roasts and really enjoyed the Costa Rican decaf, but there was no way that I was going to be drinking decaf, so I went for the Forest Mist Blend.  This blend was sweet & mellow, with tones of roasted oak.  It was soo smooth and silky, very good blend and I am tempted to purchase a bag of it next time I am up at R&R.  We had to get the muffin because #1 it looked amazing and #2 I was not counting calories on Saturday (shhh…don’t tell my trainer).  The blueberry muffin was extremely MOIST, not too sweet and was baked to perfection!


So Great…
The atmosphere!  This coffee shop embodies the Colorado western charm that everyone hears about and wants to experience when in Colorado.  This is a MUST for locals and a place you need to bring any family and friends who visit you while in Colorado Springs.  The coffee bean bags draped on the ceiling, the red, warm paint, the locals coffee mugs hanging above the barista stand, the music, the outdoor setting and so much more really make this an experience that cannot be missed!

The Bummer…
The ordering process.  Like most small joints, the ordering process still resorts to a pen and paper, nothing against that, but I felt because of that, there was a bit of disorganization.  I am sure it is not like that when they are slammed like they were this past Saturday, but my steamed soy milk ended up at the back of the line behind 15 mocha lattes.  I ended up waiting almost 15 minutes to get some steamed soy milk, I think a POS system and communication between the casher and the barista would have helped.  The only other change I would make would be to add MORE blueberries to your blueberry muffins.  They are AMAZING, but lacked the flavor of the blueberries throughout the yummy muffin.

Great Job you guys, it was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment